The Extreme Winter Series of Toaster Under Quilts is designed to be used in the Canadian Winter Months.
*Please note that you, the user needs to be familiar with cold weather camping and the Extreme Winter Toaster UQ is part 1 of your overall winter camping/sleeping kit. Extreme cold weather has it’s own natural hazards, please be aware.
The Toaster Extreme series uses 15D (.90 oz/yd) fabric and a 10D fabric (.71 oz/yd – more durable than .67) which gives excellent wind resistance for your quilts and can handle the cold weather.
To install simply clip the provided S-biners onto the end loops of your hammock and adjust the height using the line locs on the corners of the quilt. From there simply cinch up the end channels to prevent air movement.
- The Toaster Underquilt implements a closed baffle design. This means there are no gaps on the inside that could let down move chamber to chamber
- All of the quilts are overstuffed with 35% more down to help with loft during the cold where you may have some frost build up. This helps in maintaining loft over time and helping in keeping down in place when your in the hammock.
- 5 loops per side (lengthwise) to help you attach the underquilt to various brands/ makes of hammocks (attachments not included)
- Suspension is a 4 corner plus 1 attachment system. Adjust the 4 corners positioning allowing for a slight gap between your butt and the inside of the UQ. Don’t overtighten.
- Includes stuff Sack and storage bag (Please store loosely when not in use)
- Both Head and Foot Draft Baffles are standard on these Underquilts
- In the winter it is a good idea to use an Under Quilt Protector and a proper tarp to protect from the wind. The UQP can help prevent frost from building up inside your UQ (which instead layers along the UQP).
- Always fluff up your quilts and ‘migrate’ the down (meaning after you unpack it on a hike for setup, fluff and pat the down around so it’s equally distributed in the chambers. It’s easy for down to be pushed around when you are putting it into the stuff sack)
- Tarps with doors and ‘winter tarps’ can help to keep wind away from your setup. It’s important to allow some air movement so you don’t have an accumulation of frost buildup on your gear from your body (both breathing and sweat management)
Features / Options:
- Temperature Ratings :
- The ratings are a general comfort rating for the average person wearing a good base layer / fleece as well as other cold weather sleep system.
- -25°C / -13°F : 26oz of down
- -32°C / -31°F : 30oz of down
- -40°C / -40°F : 34oz of down (New Custom build)
- Color Choices / Fabric: (to see individual colors scroll down)
- 15D is a great denier for durability and wind protection in the winter.
- The 10D fabric selected for this quilt is lighter in weight yet has a mini ripstop design that is both tough and as good as the 15D for wind resistance.
- Down Fill Power
- 800+ Fill Power Canadian SupremeLoft Down (WDD)
- Length / Dimensions
- 78″ Regular, 82″ Long
- Width is 44″
- -25° / 13°F weighs 378 oz (not including stuff sack [weighs .8oz/24g])
- Underquilt Extra Options
FAQ: What makes these different than the other Toaster UQ’s?
The Extreme Winter series has a second draft collar, attachment points for the insulator and generally a bit more down than you would expect from an equivalent from a competitor. It’s not all overstuff, it’s larger baffling as well to get these ratings up.
Colours: 15D and 10D
|Toaster Extreme Underquilt Specs|
|Temp Rating||-17°C / 0°F||-25°C / -13°F||-32°C/-25°F||-40°|
|Baffle height (inches)||3.5″||3.75″||4.5″||4.75″|
|Uses Canadian Supreme Loft Down|
|800 FP WDD (down in 11 chambers)
|78″ Length – oz||22.23 oz||26.35 oz||29.25 oz||33.15 oz|
|82″ Length – oz||23.37 oz||27.7 oz||30.75 oz||34.84 oz|
Custom product :Check out the current wait time in the menu
The Video Section of the Media Menu has more setup videos of the Underquilts
New Suspension system November 2022
Hammock to Underquilt Tips (in addition to the other video)